Bloomington Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Although operating a motorcycle can be fun, it comes with a few risks. One of the most common risks associated with riding a motorcycle is getting involved in an accident.
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents happen more often than you think. Consider the following statistics from the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Approximately 5,300 people die as a result of being in an motorcycle accident every year.
- Compared with vehicle passengers, motorcyclists have a 28 times greater chance of fatal injuries from an accident.
- Since 2000, motorcycle helmet use has decreased by 6 percent.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
From slick road conditions to driver error, there are several causes of motorcycle accidents. Here are 9 reasons that motorcycle accidents occur.
1. Changing lanes in an unsafe manner. Switching lanes without warning can be dangerous. When vehicle operators and cyclists fail to check their mirrors before changing lanes, they can collide into another vehicle.
2. Drivers opening car doors. If a vehicle driver is parked on the side of a street, the door can hit a motorcyclist who is traveling on the same side of the street at the time the driver opens the door.
3. Motorcyclists speeding. Whether you’re operating a car or a motorcycle, traveling at high rates of speed is never a good idea. When you operate a vehicle over the speed limit, it becomes easy for you to lose control of the vehicle or crash into another vehicle.
4. Drinking and driving. Not only is driving under the influence against the law, it’s hazardous. Consuming alcohol slows down your reaction time.
5. Failure to use turn signals. Before you make a turn, it’s important for you to use your signal to alert the other drivers to what you’re doing. This is especially true when you’re making left turns.
6. Defective motorcycles. While it’s true that motorcycle companies strive to make safe motorcycles, sometimes they fall short. Defective motorcycle parts such as brakes and engines can cause serious accidents.
7. Bad weather conditions. If you own a motorcycle, you should make every effort to drive it on dry days. Rain, snow and sleet can cause your motorcycle to spin out of control.
8. Hazardous road conditions. The average vehicle can handle potholes, debris and uneven pavement. However, motorcycles are different. They can be derailed by even the tiniest bumps.
9. Driver inexperience. It takes time for you to learn how to operate a motorcycle effectively. Regardless of the mode of transportation, an inexperienced driver can make unwise decisions that cause accidents.
Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident
Here’s the truth about operating a motorcycle or any vehicle. In spite of your best efforts, an accident can happen at any moment. It’s essential that you know what to do if you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident.
The first thing you should is get to a safe place. For instance, if your motorcycle is on fire, move away from it quickly.
After you’ve made it to a safe place, immediately call 9-1-1 for emergency assistance. If you’ve been injured, ask an onlooker to call for you.
If a police officer arrives on the scene first, ask for an ambulance. Even if you feel fine, you should go to the hospital for an examination. There could be some internal damage that you can’t see or feel.
Contact your insurance company to report the accident as soon as you can. Although insurance agents are trained to be friendly, be careful about the information that you provide to them.
Hire a motorcycle accident attorney to represent you. This is important because you should take steps to ensure that your rights are protected.
After you hire a motorcycle attorney, provide them with the information they need in a timely manner. This includes pictures, statements and witness names. Delaying the case could jeopardize your chances of any compensation that may be due to you as a result of the accident.
Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
When it comes to handling tough motorcycle accidents, only experienced motorcycle accident lawyers will do. Our motorcycle accident attorneys at Zayed Law Offices represent people who have suffered injuries from motorcycle accidents.
You shouldn’t delay if you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident. Contact Zayed Law Offices to see how we can assist you.